Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sex in the Capital

...So its been 4 days in DC and I'm in love with this city. The vibrant black culture, the history, arts, and even some of the people. Its a city where there is so much life but at the same time death. I say death because so many people in DC are living with HIV virus. It runs rampant through the city, DC is right behind the country of Somalia with the most people infected. This is not a lie, 1 in every 20 people in DC have the HIV virus. It makes you think about the decisions people choose when they are deciding on a sexual partner, but honestly the people that are infected with this virus may not even know it, because there are never any symptoms.

For the pass week a group of USF students like myself have been volunteering at the metro TeenAIDS an organization that promotes safe sex by passing out condoms and teaching the kids about the different ways to promote safe sex, and they also test people for HIV. This is a great organization to have in every city, but unfortunately this kind of service is not everywhere. Its a great place for kids to hang out after school and be safe, instead of venturing in to the wrong things and end up with a life full of regrets. Even though my specialty is not working with kids just seeing them every day at this venue is great. They are so alive and filled with joy, even though I know some of them are suffering with this virus.

Today they had an event where they had free food, free makeovers which was pretty legit, real make up artist and all, and free giveaways, not the cheap stuff either, I'm talking about MAC! I was like, "wahhh lol..." The music was great, the DJ took us way back when real hip hop was alive and to the sounds of NATE DOGG who died yesterday at age 41, March 15, 2011. I loved his voice and his music, RIP Nate Dogg!

Once the event was over, we headed over to Spoken Word open mic at Bohemian Cavern, and I fell more in love with DC. It was an underground venue, and once you stepped inside it was like you were inside a hollow rock, with dim lights, incense, and sound of eclectic funk, guys dressed in many colorful styles with their waist length dreads and women rocking their God given afro. I loved it, it felt like the place to be, it made me want to grow my afro over again but instead try dreads and color my hair, wishful thinking right, but you never know, I could be crazy enough to try it.

With the high statistics of HIV in DC you would think it scares me away from living here, especially since I'm looking for a boo/man..what ever you want to call him, but I want to be a part of this culture, give back and help the people with the things they've been deprived of for so many years, because of the discrimination and prejudices. I want to give my part, and know that I am making a difference in someone's life. Anyway, I need to head to sleep, another day of service in the morning...night!

No comments: